Monday, May 2, 2011

Back to the Designing Board. . . . .

OMG!  Where do the months go?  I'm never my most productive during the first quarter of the year but I really did hit a slump this year.  After doing a lot - did I mention a lot of - sewing on my Christmas project, I finally had to call "Uncle" and put it away for a while.  I seem to be piling up UFO's projects  this year.  Hate that!!

Sooooo decided to turn over a new leaf and start designing a new one that I would actually finish.  I know that a lot of quilters like to work on a bunch of projects at once, but I like to start and finish a project - seems to keep me on track better.  So with that in mind, I started my entry for the annual  Lily Art Festival which is held at a local gift shop Campbell Pottery Store.  Its a juried show, so my entry might not be accepted but its worth a try.  I've been in a couple of times and my husband was accepted last year so this year we thought we would try together.

Anyways, here is the start of my project.  The background is made up of all my own personal hand dyeds.  It took me about 3 weeks to get this far but I believe this is the finished design.  Its now backed with Warm and Natural batting ready to be sewn down.  I don't fuse anything since I like the natural feel of the cotton.  Still I'm thinking with this one, I'm going to use some invisible thread for the initial sewing and then add thread work over that after.  I want to make sure the edges are nice and clean.  I'll keep ya posted on how its going!

5 comments:

Judy Ferguson said...

I really like your choice of colors here. They have a very nice contrast. I hope you will finish this soon. I would like to see it.

annette said...

I love it Nina! So delicate but sturdy looking....is that a good use of adjectives?? Hand dyed...you are awesome. Rooting for you to finish!

Carol A. Babineau said...

Love it Nina-Marie! So glad to see you back, I missed you :) HHMMM, flowers, right up my alley :)

Suzanne Kistler said...

Beautiful!

Welcome back!!

I've been thinking of you lately, as I'm signed up for a seminar with Jeanette deNicholas Meyer at the end of the month. How prepared do I need to be? ;)

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

The colors are so beautiful together. I love your hand dyes. I love the lilies!
glen