Friday, January 6, 2017

Art of the Day - Off the Wall Friday

The Path, Wihelm Morgner, 1913 (May 3, 2016 Calendar page)

A New Year - A New Calendar!!  For the last 3 years,  my favorite calendar,  Art Page-A-Day Gallery Calendar has sat on my desk. One of the small blessings of each day is to change the page each morning and see what amazing piece of art the editors had in store for me!  Sometimes it familiar, sometimes its new to me, sometimes the beauty catches my breath - and sometimes - not often - it makes me thing - O - M - G - what were they thinking!  It always is interesting and never mundane!!


Portrait of Dame Ellen Terry, George Watts, 1864








One of the ways, I've taken to ringing out the Old and ushering in the New is to looking through last year's calendars pages to see which I'm going to be saving.  I've started quite a little collection of them every year for future inspiration.  The calendar sits in a sturdy Lucite stand and the pictures are high quality paper.  The art displayed is everything from paintings, sculpture, fashion, photography, furniture etc. etc.  Each page has a caption on what is the piece is, by whom, and where its located now.  Also, some days, the editor chose to give high light a cropped section of the original piece which I actually really like.  It makes me think of that one small bit of a much larger work and inspires me to take interesting crops of my own work.

Mending the Sail, Joaquin Sorolla, 1836

Since I haven't quite started my new projects of my own (we're just finishing up on "Holiday" mode around here), I thought I would share some of the ones that I absolutely loved!  I'm sure  you can see from my selections how my tastes run to the impressionists and post impressionists era.  The calendar represents art across time, but the editors do seem to include a lot from my favorite art movements.   (Also, I noticed that they sell last year's calendar 2016 on Amazon at a reduced price if you just want to buy it to look at the pretty pictures!)

Dynamism of a Soccer Player, Umberto Boccioni, 1914

This weekend its back to studio for me!  I usually take a break each December since its the darkest and most busiest month of the year!!

So What Have Been Up to Creatively?

No comments: