Friday, January 13, 2017

In Search of Brown - Off the Wall Friday

My Arches piece that uses Brown as a nuetral


So, it all started when my mother was generous enough to give me for Christmas  an online 8 lesson class in Color, Composition, and Design with Katie Pasquini Masopust.  I like the idea of the class because it would jumpstart me back into the studio and being held accountable for your work is never a bad idea now and again.  Since after 25 yrs I've learned a thing or two about Color, Composition and Design . . .  I thought .. . . How hard can be it be?  Well, as always, there is always more to learn!

Apparently, Brown is much more than the color of dirt and tree bark!  Its a neutral.  (To be truthful, I  did know this but just don't often use it that way) Also, it can be created by mixing complementary colors.  Now this I did not know.  I thought to get brown you could just mix all three primary colors together equally.  (But if you think about it that's true too - BUT you only get one shade of brown that way).  So if you mix complementary colors you get many more shades of brown  - of course depending how much you of each hue you mix. And since you get complementary colors by mixing primary, I guess both statements are true.




Okay - got that - now searching out those browns in your stash is a whole other story.  You see I'll need them for my first lesson which is due in little over one week.  And I still haven't quite found all the browns.  Its not as if I don't own browns, and I make sure I dye more every year but truly - who looks carefully at browns when there are so many other colors in the crayon box. 

So I guess you'll have to stay tune to see where I go with this exploration in brown.  The rest of the lesson I totally understand (secretly saying to myself "Oh, I got this") but Brown is still a bit of mystery to me that will need a bit exploration this weekend.  I'll let you know what I find next week!





So What Have Been Up to Creatively This Week?

8 comments:

Laura McGrath said...

Some of my favorite browns happen when combining Blue and Orange--turquoise and strong orange, cobalt and tangerine, burnt orange and teal, the possibilities are endless!

Marianne said...

Le cours de Katie est absolument génial je l'ai fait en séminaire de trois jours pas online mais j'ai beaucoup appris:)))

Yanicka said...

There is so much to learn about color theory!!!
I took a Craftsy class called Color Play for Quilters with Joen Wolfrom.
The class is not like any other class I took as it is a bit "dryer" and less entertaining but it is still my favorite. I learned that the 3 primary volors are not yellow-blue-red but yellow-magenta-cyan. I felt like I've been lied to all my life.

SuzK said...

I have been a lover of brown all my life. The art rebel in me was activated when I was told that baby poop brown was an 'unfortunate mistake' in color mixing. Anyway, I was excited to see so many good examples of brown on your post. Have fun with your class!

Turtlemoonimpressions said...

I think this is one of the reasons I'm so attracted to the eco print. Love those earth tones!

Unknown said...

Love the browns - all the earthy colours rich and vibrant.

Suzanne Kistler said...

I took Katie's online class last year. I think it was one of the best things I've ever done for my creative quilt life. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!!!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Nina Marie, the class sounds great. Thanks for sharing. It really is amazing how many variations there are of each colour.